On this week’s stories, two 500-backed tech unicorns make the news, including Malaysia’s very first, Carsome. Meanwhile, startups in education and proptech raised over US$12 million in funding. And two more startups, Kredivo and eFishery, come together to increase financial access to underserved communities in Indonesia.
Missed the last weekly roundup? Check it out here.
- Bukalapak kicks off US$1.13B IPO, biggest in Indonesia in over a decade
- Carsome becomes Malaysia’s first tech unicorn in share-swap deal
- Nas Academy raises US$11M for MasterClass-like platform
- SPEEDHOME lands US$1.7M, to set up in Bangkok
- Kredivo & eFishery team up to boost financial inclusion among fish farmers
- RedDoorz launches Sunerra to cater to the middle-class
- PolicyPal in Singapore’s first advanced certified insurtech course
- Grab’s Anthony Tan on why the super app works for its 8 markets
- How clinical research in Europe will boost Naluri in Southeast Asia
- Clinikk vaccinates 1 million people in 40 days
- iPrice & Parcel Monitor investigate new retail trend
- Carousell kicks off one of the biggest online property expos in the Philippines
Other stories you may have missed:
- Pandorum Technologies, which works on tissue engineering and regenerative medicine, has been listed as one of 10 biotech startups in India to watch out for in 2021.
- Shohoz kicks off its Shohoz Young Talent Program, a 3-year program where fresh graduates will be groomed by leaders in tech in the country.
- Laka and Endurance Zone Rewards joined forces to provide ~US$2.3 million of liability as well as legal insurance to all Endurance Zone UK premium members for no additional cost.
Missed out the last Daily Markup? Go here to check it out.
500 Startups is a venture capital firm on a mission to discover and back the world’s most talented entrepreneurs, help them create successful companies at scale, and build thriving global ecosystems. In Southeast Asia, 500 Startups invests through the pioneering 500 Southeast Asia family of funds. The 500 Southeast Asia funds have backed over 240 companies across multiple sectors from internet to consumer to deep technology. It continues to connect founders with capital, expertise and powerful regional and global networks to help them succeed.
This post is intended solely for general informational or educational purposes only. 500 Startups Management Company, L.L.C. and its affiliates (collectively “500 Startups”) makes no representation as to the accuracy or information in this post and while reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that the information herein is accurate and up-to-date, no liability can be accepted for any error or omissions. All third party links in this post have not been independently verified by 500 Startups and the inclusion of such links should not be interpreted as an endorsement or confirmation of the content within. Information about portfolio companies’ markets, competitors, performance, and fundraising has been provided by those companies’ founders and has not been independently verified. Under no circumstances should any content in this post be construed as investment, legal, tax or accounting advice by 500 Startups, or an offer to provide any investment advisory service with regard to securities by 500 Startups. No content or information in this post should be construed as an offer to sell or solicitation of interest to purchase any securities advised by 500 Startups. Prospective investors considering an investment into any 500 Startups fund should not consider or construe this content as fund marketing material. The views expressed herein are as at the date of this post and are subject to change without notice. One or more 500 Startups fund may have a financial interest in one or more of the companies discussed.