Taking to the streets
- Ever noticed that small alleys don’t always appear on your map? Street-level navigation is far from perfect across Southeast Asia, but 500-backed super app Grab is aiming to improve that.
- Since 2017, GrabMaps has deployed thousands of KartaCams action cameras across the region. These cameras are affixed to bike helmets or car windshields, capturing high-quality street-level imagery. They have become integral to mapmaking, with driver-partners using them during passenger transport or goods delivery.
- Now, the team is ready to launch KartaCam 2. With its dual-band GPS module and an extendable antenna, it offers improved position accuracy and signal stability.
- KartaCam 2 uses edge artificial intelligence (AI), which is a combination of edge computing and AI that brings computation closer to the devices collecting data, making collection faster and smarter.
- By building this solution in-house instead of outsourcing, Grab could save close to 90% in hardware and imagery collection costs.
- What’s more, their driver-partners gain access to an additional income stream by helping with data collection. They have the flexibility to choose jobs they want, such as routes that they are familiar with or areas that are convenient to get to.
- Hundreds of KartaCam 2 will be rolled out across the region in the first half of 2024.
- Get the full story here.
Other stories you may have missed:
- Bibit gives back to the community with IDR40M donation to children with special needs
- Meals in Minutes raises US$1.5M to bring high quality, healthy & sustainable meals to people leading busy lives and F&B businesses
- WORQ eyes 1 million sqft of flexible co-working space to nurture a thriving business ecosystem in Malaysia
- Aereo captures millions of data points to create 3D replicas that enhance the productivity of national infrastructure development
- SOLS Energy officially partnered with UEM Sunrise Berhad on their enhanced customer mobile app to benefit homeowners
- OhmniLabs partnered with healthcare improvement company Premier, Inc. to help healthcare providers engage in real-time, interactive communication and foster a genuine presence with patients and other staff members.
- Wallex partnered with iPiD to improve the customer payment experience and meet the growing demand for secure and improved payment infrastructures
- Qarbotech was named one of the top 8 agritech startups transforming agriculture in Southeast Asia by Tech Collective
- VirtualTech Frontier exhibited immersive learning technologies as digital strategic partner for National Digital Education policy launch