Hard tech for hard results
- 500-backed ION Mobility is known as an e-motorbike startup, but Founder & CEO James Chan’s vision extends beyond an electric motor with a battery on two wheels.
- He is building a computing platform that aims to deliver more than just air and noise pollution reduction. “We have gone to great lengths to engineer an integrated 7-inch display unit which contains triple computer chips,” he shared. “What that means beyond having a fancy speedometer is ride and vehicle analytics alongside advanced features to achieve our vision of an electric motorcycle with an API.”
- “We think that we are strongly poised to be in a position to calculate the precise carbon dioxide reduction that we’re taking off the roads with our vehicles,” he added.
- ION Mobility’s hard technology focuses on a very important issue that is especially prevalent in Southeast Asia — the region is one of the world’s largest market for motorbikes, which emit more pollution per kilometer than cars.
- So it’s no coincidence that the team’s flagship e-motorbike, the M1-S, was launched in late-2022 in Indonesia, the world’s third largest market with an average of 6 to 6.5 million units sold each year.
- ION Mobility’s efforts are complemented by the country’s recent focus to accelerate its EV market, opening a window of opportunity. “Indonesia started talking about EV transition policies in 2018. That certainly made me notice electric mobility as the next big thing in Southeast Asia,” James said.
- Watch the full interview on CNA.
Other stories you may have missed:
- Khailee shares high-growth trends in SE Asia, how 500 Global finds & funds tech founders, and why now is the best time to invest
- Homage partners SingLife to provide greater access and reduced service rates for home and nursing care in Singapore
- Pandorum Technologies advances to human trials for bio-engineered ‘liquid cornea’, Kuragenx, to cure corneal blindness
- Aerodyne Group signed a Sustainability Pledge with Cyberview committing to sustainable waste management, recycling programs, and educational awareness of sustainability
- BloomThis’ Penny Choo and ANGIN’s David Soukhasing featured in The Prestige 40 Under 40 list for 2023
- eFishery was awarded the ASEAN Business Award 2023 for “Tech for Sustainable Agriculture” in the Food Security sector
- Ematic Solutions partnered with global full-service eCommerce agency BSS Commerce to diversify their services and ensure that customers receive the best possible support through a comprehensive suite of solutions
- FinAccel is now known as Kredivo Group