AmbitION in MotION
- “I have three young children, and I wanted to not just inspire them with what I do, but also ensure that I can leave behind a better world for them,” said Founder & CEO James Chan of 500-backed e-motorbike company ION Mobility.
- That drove James to not only launch ION, but to do it in the depths of the pandemic, with teams in Shenzhen and Jakarta established without business travel.
- The self-confessed geek aims to build well-designed, performant, and value-for-money two-wheelers that reduce air pollution in urban cities.
- James shared his team’s approach. “For starters, we’re not buying or white-labeling from China’s electric moped ecosystem to earn a profit on a quick flip to Indonesia. We undertake our own design, engineering, and manufacturing functions out of Singapore while having minimal dependency on value-added engineering from consultants,” he said.
- What would James be doing if not helming ION? It always comes down to making a real-world impact for him. “In a parallel multiverse of madness, I might be in the education sector, or applying my energy towards venture-building in Singapore’s state-owned enterprises that are responsible for so much of the city-state’s economy, but derive so much of their revenues through rent-seeking. Or I might just pop back into school with my wife and date her again in a college setting, but as MBAs or PhDs,” he shared.
- Read the full article on Rest of World.
Other stories you may have missed:
- Aerodyne seals 21st global M&A deal with top drone service provider in Italy to further expand their reach worldwide
- Monnai secures US$6.5M to generate accurate and relevant customer insights for finance companies globally
- WORQ locks in 80% occupancy ahead of new co-working space launch, maintaining profitability even amidst current funding climate
- Merkle Science teams up with victim support platform to empower crypto businesses with tools to combat cybercrime
- Government agency Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) partnered with Indonesian investment platform ANGIN on NINJA accelerator program 2022
- Neuron Mobility was selected by the City of Brampton to launch the Greater Toronto Area’s first shared e-scooter program in Brampton
- Gilmour Space and Atomos Space entered a Memorandum of Understanding for in-space transportation and launch aggregation services
- Prenetics announced the formation of a scientific advisory board to support their new business strategy in precision oncology
- Watch a feature by Channel News Asia on Boxgreen’s participation in a new program in Singapore that allows firms to conduct workplace learning