Expanding the library
- 500-backed LottieFiles, the Kuala Lumpur and San Francisco-based animation proprietor, announced it has acquired design asset marketplace Iconscout.
- Founded in 2016, Iconscout claims to have built an extensive library of over 2.2 million curated assets for designers, developers, and marketers.
- “Our goal is to empower designers and developers and save them weeks of work by freeing them from creating, collaborating, testing, and editing design assets. We are grateful to the Iconscout team for coming along on this journey with us and thrilled they too share this common vision,” said Kshitij Minglani, co-founder and CEO of LottieFiles.
- Under the acquisition, Iconscout will continue to operate as an independent platform.
A lending (robotic) hand
- The United Nations Development Program (UNDP) donated an additional 15 Ohmni Robots to the Ministry of Health to support frontline doctors and nurses in Vietnam.
- The units from 500-backed OhmniLabs are used to diagnose and treat patients and protect frontliners from Covid-19 and other infectious diseases.
- This was the second batch of robots to be delivered by the UNDP for applications such as diagnosis, tele-training, and the autonomous delivery of medical supplies.
- UNDP had earlier handed over three robots to the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases, which the hospital staff said can help reduce the risk of their potential exposure to the virus.
- Founded in 2017, Laka goes against conventional norms by using a community-approach to insurance. Based on the “collective”, customers are charged a share of the cost of claims submitted in the previous month — up to a capped fee.
- Tobias Taupitz, CEO and co-founder Laka said, “Our expansion to the Netherlands is the next step in building the largest Collective for cyclists in Europe. The Dutch cycling culture is world famous and we’re proud to be making the step into the rest of Europe from our Amsterdam Pan-European HQ. We are ready!”
Missed out the last Daily Markup? Go here to check it out.
500 Startups is a venture capital firm on a mission to discover and back the world’s most talented entrepreneurs, help them create successful companies at scale, and build thriving global ecosystems. In Southeast Asia, 500 Startups invests through the pioneering 500 Southeast Asia family of funds. The 500 Southeast Asia funds have backed over 240 companies across multiple sectors from internet to consumer to deep technology. It continues to connect founders with capital, expertise and powerful regional and global networks to help them succeed.
This post is intended solely for general informational or educational purposes only. 500 Startups Management Company, L.L.C. and its affiliates (collectively “500 Startups”) makes no representation as to the accuracy or information in this post and while reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that the information herein is accurate and up-to-date, no liability can be accepted for any error or omissions. All third party links in this post have not been independently verified by 500 Startups and the inclusion of such links should not be interpreted as an endorsement or confirmation of the content within. Information about portfolio companies’ markets, competitors, performance, and fundraising has been provided by those companies’ founders and has not been independently verified. Under no circumstances should any content in this post be construed as investment, legal, tax or accounting advice by 500 Startups, or an offer to provide any investment advisory service with regard to securities by 500 Startups. No content or information in this post should be construed as an offer to sell or solicitation of interest to purchase any securities advised by 500 Startups. Prospective investors considering an investment into any 500 Startups fund should not consider or construe this content as fund marketing material. The views expressed herein are as at the date of this post and are subject to change without notice. One or more 500 Startups fund may have a financial interest in one or more of the companies discussed.
Born in Silicon Valley. Raised in Southeast Asia.